- sell or offer for sale, or attempt to take orders for the sale of goods or services of any kind
- request, directly or indirectly, contributions of funds
- advertise by the hanging of a flyer or handbill to any building or vehicle, regardless of whether a doorbell is rung or any physical or verbal contact is made
Are there any restrictions?
Certain restrictions apply to door-to-door solicitation:
- allowed only between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- no more than one solicitation within any consecutive 14 days at the same location, unless invited back by the resident
- only at main entrance of residence or business
In addition, solicitors must:
- disclose who they are and why they are there
- provide a receipt if purchase or donation is over $5
- leave immediately if asked to do so
- not approach if a "No Solicitors" or “No Trespassers” sign is displayed
- not block traffic of any drive or street
- carry a government-issued photo identification card if the solicitor is 16 years of age or older and is engaged in commercial solicitation
You may not solicit or canvass if you've been convicted of a felony, misdemeanor or ordinance involving force, violence, moral turpitude, deceit, fraud or the violation of any law regarding the act of soliciting. (Moral turpitude is an act or behavior that gravely violates moral sentiment or accepted moral standards of community, such as prostitution, theft or embezzlement.)
The Lenexa Police Department will respond to solicitation complaints. Dial 9-1-1 for easiest response. The officer's actions are limited unless the solicitor has violated some element of the ordinance and the calling party wishes to sign a complaint. Remember that a solicitor is not breaking the law if the only complaint is that he or she has been rude.
Self-adhesive “NO SOLICITORS” signs are also available, at no cost, in the front lobby of City Hall and police headquarters.
See the Common Questions about Soliciting and Picketing in the City of Lenexa (PDF), the Lenexa City Code Chapter 3-10, or call the Legal Department at 913.477.7500.