Sign Permits

A sign permit is required to construct, erect, alter or relocate any sign in Lenexa. If work begins on sign installation prior to the issuance of a permit, the permit fee will be doubled.

How to apply

Applications must be filed by a contractor licensed to erect signs in the city, or the owner or authorized agent of the property where the sign is to be located. Depending on the planned use of the sign, complete either the permanent sign permit application or the temporary sign permit application and submit with the appropriate fee to City Hall. City staff will review the plans and issue the permit.

Temporary sign limits

Businesses are limited to the number of temporary signs that can be erected per calendar year.


Contact City Hall at 913.477.7500 for fee information.

Signage help for businesses during a major road closure

Lenexa has designated the 95th Street and I-35 interchange area as a Special Construction Zone through Jan. 1, 2017, while it undergoes reconstruction. The city will install detour and directional signs along the roadway to help traffic navigate around construction. Temporary sign regulations have been loosened for commercial property owners who want to install temporary free-standing or facade signs.

Temporary signage regulations for Special Construction Zones flier (PDF)

For more information

Email LeAnne Jayne or call 913.477.7727.